Sunday, September 27, 2009

Paper Maniac Inspirations: Brads and Buttons, Oh my!

This week at Paper Maniac, the DT members are showcasing brads and buttons. Buttons are actually one of my fave embellishments to add to cards. Not only do they add so much dimension, they also add so much texture. My mother-in-law was kind enough to give me a jarful of vintage buttons that she kept in an old Gerber baby food jar (way back when my hubby was still a wee little one).





For my creation today, I followed no particular sketch, but actually came up with this all on my own! I was so proud of myself when this card came together so quickly. Quick is good for me since it takes hours for me to come up with one card - anyone else out there like mwah? I used a stamp from Papertrey Ink (Birds) as my focal point encased in a frame cut out using Spellbinders Labels One. The die cut butterfly is dry embossed with the script embossing folder and adorned with some white vintage buttons. For the antennae, I used some metal wire for some dimension. I used some designer paper from Jillibean Soup (Olive Oil-Minestrone Collection and Thin Zucchini - Minestrone Collection). I layered the Olive Oil Jillibean Soup designer paper using Neenah 80# cardstock. For the scalloped border, I used the following maroon bazzill cardstock for contrast and used the Stampin' Up slit punch for the scallops. I used the crop-a-dile to punch out holes in the scallops. I finished it off with 7/8 inch wide grossgrain cream ribbon found here.








Stamps: Papertrey Ink (Birds)
Paper/Cardstock: The Paper Company (Baby Blue), Neenah (80 # Natural White), Bazzill Multi-packs (Maroon cardstock), Jillibean Soup (Kraft cardstock), Jillibean Soup (Olive Oil, Thin Zucchini- Minestrone Collection)
Ink: Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Antique Linen), Stampin' Up (Close to Cocoa)
Accessories/Tools: 5/8” Cream Grossgrain Ribbon, Provocraft (Cuttlebug Script Embossing Folder), Vintage Buttons, Spellbinders (Labels 1, Classic Squares, Nested Butterfly), Wire, Crop-a-dile, Small Corner Rounder

8 comments:

Jennifer Scull said...

oh this is so beautiful! you have such a gorgeous style! :) I love to see everything that you create, Alma!

Tenia Nelson said...

Gorgeous card!!!

raindropecho said...

This is just so cuuute! Love that butterfly with it's buttons!

JazzyH said...

Great use of buttons!

Judi M said...

Very cute idea to use buttons for the butterfly's body. The wire worked out well for the antennae, too.

Angie Cortes said...

Sooo Cute! I love the butterfly! Awesome use of buttons!

Stephanie said...

I'm loving the Jillibean Soup paper - thanks for persuading me to go pick some of my own up :)

Katy Myhre said...

Very cute! I love the layout!

I am hosting a challenge this week, would love you to play along!

http://kscardcreations.blogspot.com/2009/10/tackle-it-tuesday-16.html